Thursday, February 25, 2010

Bobsleigh

I saw this a few times at Whistler. I'm not sure the proper usage of "bobsleigh" versus "bobsled" but it has a nice ring to it. As though I should use a European accent and say, "Oh yes, just let me fetch my bobsleigh."

As promised, a part two to my olympic posting. We had a long and exciting day in Canada. After the two and a half hour drive, we had to take another two hour bus ride to get to Whistler. The atmosphere at the ski resort was infectious.




It was also very cold and I spent more money than I anticipated buying a hat, gloves and an extra jacket. Sorry, Emily, unfortunately they weren't the iconic red Canadian mittens that are all the rage. The shops have been sold out of them for several days.

We took the gondola up the mountain to watch women's bobsledding. It was packed at the top but by the end of the first heat, we worked our way up to the closest spectator spot. This was my favorite part. I loved watching them get ready, get a few final words from their coach, and perform their pre-race rituals which usually involved grunting and hitting each other. I'm glad to say no one wiped out all night yesterday, which was unfortunately not the case tonight.



This will give you an idea of how close we were. Wow! By the way, these ladies from Japan may not have won a medal but they should win a prize for the most beautiful sled.




We worked our way down the mountain, getting to watch the sleds zoom by at different parts of the course.



Here is the jumping picture I mentioned in my last posting. Marissa was the reason I went to Vancouver the first time and kindly let me buy her extra bobsledding ticket for our second trip.



Okay, I probably spent an inappropriate time working on this last picture but I sure had fun with it. If you haven't already seen it on my facebook profile, here it is again.



Well, we scoured the NBC footage of the event and I'm sad to say that I don't think we made it but hopefully I have presented you with sufficient evidence to assure you that I was indeed there.
I LOVE THE OLYMPICS!

5 comments:

Emily said...

Nice work with the photoshop at the end! It sounds like you are having a blast up there. Do you have tickets to any more events?

And BOO about the sold out mittens. I was hoping you could pick me up a pair, too :)

esmiley said...

Yesterday afternoon we were Tuesday night's Olympics that I had recorded. I thought she'd like the women's figure skating, which she did. HOWEVER she was more impressed with Bobsleigh. We had a conversation that went like this:
G: More bobsled! More bobsledding!
E: Okay
G: I want to be in the Olympics when I grow up.
E: You mean you want to be an Olympic athlete?
G: Yep.
E: What sport do you want to compete in?
G: Bobsled!
E: Are you sure you'd want to go down the hill really fast like that?
G: YES!

When I told her that you got to see it she said, "WOW!" I agree with her. Wow! How exciting and how neat to be so close.

Brenda said...

What a buff Olympian you are....going downhill in the bobsled with a smile AND your hands in the air....IMPRESSIVE!

jennybhill said...

It is fun to imagine you bobsledding as it is an icy version of roller coasters, and we all know how much you love those!
Was it hard to get tickets?

Mom said...

I loved all your pictures....and am GLAD that you got to be part of the Olympic scene!