Thursday, October 2, 2008

Filling My Time

Well, even though I have a full-time job now, working three 12's a week still leaves me with quite a bit of free time between my shifts. I'm still getting used to not having to constantly study for exams in all my free time, although that is a very pleasant change. When I first moved, there was more than enough to keep me busy in getting settled in Seattle. Then my church calling as organist and hiking began taking up more of my time. But now that I am feeling more comfortable with the organ and it is getting too cold and rainy to hike, I have been looking for some other activities.

An evening with google, a few emails and phone calls later and here's what I've done.



My clogging shoes have sat quiet in my closet for far too long. I was so glad to find a clogging group here in Seattle. There are only about 6 people in my low-intermediate class but it was so much fun. We are currently preparing for a Christmas performance at Pike Place Market. Sweet!


I also wanted to find a good volunteer opportunity. There is a senior center not too far north of me that desperately needed drivers to deliver food through their meals on wheels program. So now Sheila and I will get to spend some more time together and make new friends.

Last week, I changed to night shifts so I am getting used to a new schedule anyway. And these acitivities should fit in just fine.

8 comments:

Mom said...

Yay for Kristen...both activities sound great and lots of fun! You are amazing!

jennybhill said...

You are amazing Kristen! Sounds fun -- what songs are you dancing to for the Christmas program? And why is Seattle called the Emerald City?
Hope the night shifts are treating you well :)

Emily said...

So after our inspiring conversation about taking clogging classes, I contacted the NOVA group.. apparently they are quite good and you have to try out for it. *sigh* P.S. What was our clogging teacher's name agin? Rajim?

esmiley said...

Hooray for clogging! Also I got to do meals on wheels a few times while we lived in Iowa and loved it! (It was an ongoing stake service project). Way to be proactive about making good use of your free time.

Kristen said...

Seattle is called the Emerald City because it is so green- both literally from all the rain and also because there is such an emphasis on being environmentally friendly.
So whoever comes to visit has to listen to "Just One Day in the Emerald City" from "Wicked"

Emily said...

It's "One Short Day in the Emerald City."

Carma said...

yay for clogging!! I'm jealous.

Tyler Waterfall said...

Oh, you wonderful girl. I love hearing what you're doing.