Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Thin Skinned

Tonight at work, a patient yelled at me. I'm sure it was the situation and not our simple misunderstanding that was the catalyst but I got the brunt of it anyway. The next time I went into his room, he apologized. It was sincere and I accepted. "That's okay," I told him, "I have a pretty thick skin." That was a lie. I said it because I feel like that is what nurses are supposed to have. We have to deal with a lot stuff so you have to have a thick skin to deal with it but mine never developed.

I remember one of the first days of my mission in Germany, being rejected for the first time and getting this awful feeling in my stomach. I thought to myself, "It is just because you're new to this. You'll get used to it." But I never did. Eighteen months and I got that feeling every time. Better than apathy, I grant you, but it's heck on the heart.

I can't think of anymore to write so I am going to spend the rest of my lunch break reading Ender's Game which I checked out from the library yesterday. As a Mormon and a bookworm, I feel a sense of obligation to finally read this book.

Oh and P.S- I am going to go to grad school. Pretty sure, anyway.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm glad you don't have a thick skin.

jennybhill said...

I think your comment about rejection on a mission tells a lot about you -- in a very good way.

How do you like Ender's Game?

Crolace said...

I think being thick-skinned comes from not caring about/liking/trusting people.

Considering the alternative, better to be thin-skinned.

Nana said...

I think we are very alike in the skin-thickness thing. It seems to come with the whole having a heart experience,. May you have some special heart-warming experiences very soon! PS I'm glad he apologized.

Kim Whitefield said...

I'm going to have to have thick skin, too, as a teacher. I'll let you know if I have any helpful tips.