Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Wanderlust

Isn't German a great language? You know that I desire hiking which is how this word literally translates; "wadern" (to hike) and "lust" (desire). Parenthetically, my first hike of the season last weekend was lovely even if it did rain the whole time. But back to wanderlust. Of course, colloquially, it expresses more of a desire to travel the world than to hike. Now, if I was really speaking German (which I am sorry to say I haven't done in a few years now), I might use the word "fernweh" or loosely, "to ache for something far away", which I think also has a nice sentiment.

Well, I got it bad.

I feel like that sentence deserves its own paragraph because it is true. I love living in Seattle. I really do. I could live here the rest of my life, or in some other city that I would equally enjoy. But I'm not tied down here. Besides my job, I don't have any binding obligations. Nor am I in debt. And that leads me to have a lot of "If I don't do it now, I'll never do it" arguments with myself, thinking of distant lands where I would like to live. Of course, there's that voice that says, "Maybe you'll never get married or have a family and then you'll have 60 years to do that stuff. What's your hurry?" but that voice really bugs me so I pay it no heed. With two years of nursing under my belt, I feel like I have something to offer. So here comes another one-line wonder.

I quit my job.

I wonder if people daydream about being able to write that sentence. I didn't. I actually like my job and was nervous to talk to my nurse manager who, by the way, is awesome. And I actually didn't end up totally quitting. Here's my plan in a nutshell: travel the world for a year (give or take), volunteering with various medical humanitarian organizations. Right now my trips are at all stages of planning from about to buy a plane ticket to haven't even sent in my application. Potential trips include: India, Nicaragua, China and Cameroon. A few less exotic but equally exciting trips may take me to Ensign Ranch (as a girls camp nurse), Glacier National Park and to visit baby girl Hill (aka Lalalalalala). And my boss is awesome because she is letting me stay on per Diem so I can work between trips, setting my own schedule.


What I'm saying, folks, is that this blog might get a heck of a lot more interesting come August. Oh and post script, if anyone has any suggestions for other awesome trips, I still have some time in summer 2011. So if you know of anything...Especially something in Antarctica, per my serve on every continent goal.

9 comments:

Emily said...

Wow, very exciting time for you! So, when is your last day of full time work, then? You will still be there for the half-marathon, right??

Kelli said...

YAY!!! I'm so glad you decided to do this!! Keep me posted, and lets get together this week so we can plan your "scheme of maneuver" (in US Navy speak) for the next year :)

jennybhill said...

Kristen, you are amazing! It will be a marvelous year for you, and we're excited we get to see you for part of it!!

esmiley said...

If you ever need a place to crash between trips...Rochester New York is nice 3 out of 4 seasons of the year! :o)

Brenda said...

Being a born and raised northwesterner, I think it is really smart to blow off Seattle during all seasons except summer! I think you should plan all your trips so that you are always basking in the sun:)

Carma said...

I keep thinking that you should be able to get a book deal out of this. You know how it's the trend now for people to write books about their 'one year' of doing something? (Eat, Pray, Love, etc.)

You're such a good writer, too!

Carma said...

oh, and ps, you know New York City is always open to you as well!

Mom said...

I'm so excited for you just reading this. What an exciting plan. When you have finished your continents, you might want to start over again somewhere in Europe (like Sweden maybe).

Becca Joy said...

Kristen!

You are such a superstar. I'm so excited for you to have this opportunity. Please update more when you have plans. I'd love to travel vicariously through your adventures!